CALL FOR PROPOSALS | ACTLab 2019
Reboot the Noösphere!
Re-wilding the Infinite Network
June 28-29 at the Vortex Theater, Austin, Texas
The annual ACTLab conference brings together artists, technicians, performers, hackers, scholars, and the original ACTLab community for two days of celebration, and the chance to show each other what we’ve been doing and thinking. The focus of the conference is the animating idea of the ACTLab: MAKE STUFF!
In the ACTLab spirit, we expect conference participants to present some physical embodiment of their work — film, video, projections, sound, paint, sculpture, electronics, electromechanics, movement, puppetry, performance, networks and tribal frameworks, or something we haven’t thought of yet. Each presentation at the conference venue will be followed by the usual free-for-all discussion. (Discussion may not be possible for site-specific work.)
This year, in addition to project presentations, we expand the conference to include four academic papers. We define an academic paper as a presentation which is read from a podium, possibly with audio-visual accompaniment such as slides or video.
WE INVITE PROPOSALS ON ANY TOPIC. SOME TOPIC SUGGESTIONS:
- Reimagining the Noösphere of Your Choice
- Empathetic Technologies
- Practical Politics in the Post-Cthulhucene
- Rethinking Virtual Sex
- Is Authentic Virtual Performance Possible?
- Different folk medicine for different folks
- Real Responses to Real Fascism
- Reimagining liberatory tribal systems and the infinite network
WE ALSO INVITE PROPOSALS FOR SITE-SPECIFIC WORK.
Austin has lots of interesting locations.
Guidelines for submission:
- Submit your: Name, Address, Email Address, Phone Number, Title of Submission, abstract/description and a short bio.
- Papers: submit an abstract, no longer than 250 words
- Performance, demonstration, or experiences: submit a short proof of concept video, no longer than 5 minutes
- Video and audio compositions and demos of projects: submit a short essay pitching your project, no longer than 250 words.
- Please include technical requirements such as power, floor space, lighting, sound, etc.
- Electronic proposals preferred.
- Deadline for submissions: May 31, 2019
- Notification of acceptance: June 15, 2019
Read the ACTLab website https://actlab.us
Read Sandy’s tale of how we got here http://whatisamedialab.com/2018/08/24/actlab-or-make-stuff-an-interview-with-allucquere-rosanne-stone/.
Physical objects, electronics, and other materials necessary for presentation should be onsite by date of presentation. Keep in mind that storage space at the venue is limited. Please remove any materials by close of conference. Any materials left on site after close of conference will be disposed of by staff.
Email actlab at weblogsky.com